How do I install software for Fedora? (How to use yum or an RPM) (Updated 9 May 2006)
A: The easiest way to install software in Fedora is to use yum.
Here’s how to configure your yum:
1. Open a Terminal.
2. Become root:
3. Run these commands to remove your yum.conf file and replace it with a fresh one (Updated 1 May 2006):
mv -f yum.conf yum.conf.bak
4. Now, install my yum configuration (Updated 9 May 2006), using this command:
rpm -Uvh http://www.fedorafaq.org/yum http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
NOTE: The yum configuration provided here is updated from time to time, for various reasons.
To use yum, open a terminal, become root, and then you can use the following commands:
* To see a list of available software:
yum list available
* To install some software, you type:
yum install packagename
* To update some software, you type:
yum update packagename
If you leave out "packagename" yum will update all your software.
* To see what updates are available, you can do:
* To search for a package, you can do:
yum search word